Imagine this: tender, succulent apple chunks baked to perfection, crowned with a delicious medley of crisp oats, rich brown sugar, and heartwarming fall spices. It’s amazing, served with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and homemade caramel sauce.
Warm your tastebuds and satisfy your sweet cravings with the simplicity of this dessert recipe. With the perfect balance of sweetness, tart and crunchy, this apple crips recipe will be loved by everyone.
This easy apple crisp recipe brings back those warm fall memories. Your home will smell amazing as it bakes – like a hug from your favorite season.
A fall must-have, this old-fashioned apple crisp is more than dessert – it’s a family tradition. Each bite features juicy apples, cinnamon sweetness, and a buttery oat topping.
Is there anything better than a quick and easy-to-make dessert recipe crafted from a handful of ingredients by following a few simple steps?
So, let’s start making the most delicious apple crisp with thick and jammy apples in less than 30 minutes and embrace the cozy fall vibes with this incredibly scrumptious apple crisp recipe.
Close your eyes and imagine the warmth that envelopes your senses, making you feel like you’re right here with us, savoring each exquisite bite. While we can’t send you the smell, we’re thrilled to bring you a recipe for apple crisp that captures the essence of fall in every mouthwatering spoonful.
Why You Love This Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
- Simple ingredients. One of the best parts about this recipe is that it requires only a handful of pantry staples.
- Easy to make. This is one of those recipes that require only a few minutes of prep while the oven does the rest of the work.
- Loaded with delicious flavors. Loaded with fall flavors, this apple crips recipe it’s the perfect dessert for those cozy autumn evenings with family.
- Crowd-pleasing. Whether you’re serving family, friends, or guests, it’s a surefire hit.
- Beginner-Friendly. This recipe welcomes everyone with open arms. No advanced culinary skills required—just a desire to create something delicious.
- Customizable recipe: Another great thing about this recipe is that you can play with the ingredients and customize them to your preferences. So feel free to add other fruits like pears or berries.
What is Apple Crisp?
“Crisp” in culinary terms refers to a beloved category of desserts made from a delightful combination of tender, baked fruit, typically with a topping that becomes crispy and crunchy during baking.
The topping is usually made from a mixture of ingredients like oats, flour, butter, and sugar, creating a textured layer that contrasts with the softness of the baked fruit.
These types of desserts are incredibly versatile, and you can prepare them with various types of fruit combinations, spices, and even different nuts for Topping.
Apple Crisp is a classic example of this type of dessert, where sliced or chopped apples are baked with a layer of crumbly topping, resulting in a warm and comforting dish, with a satisfying mix of flavors and textures.
Crisps can also be made with other fruits, such as berries, peaches, or pears, offering a versatile and delicious way to enjoy seasonal fruits.
Apple Crisp Ingredients And Substitutions
So, let’s check the following list of must-have ingredients and see what we’ll need.
- Apples – I used Golden apples for this recipe since they hold their shape well during baking and have a delicious balance between sweetness and tanginess. You can also use Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Jonathan.
- Brown Sugar – I used only brown sugar for this recipe because it provides a rich caramel flavor. It caramelizes during baking and creates a delicious caramel in the base and a crispy and aromatic topping.
- Cinnamon – This is one of my favorite warm and aromatic spices that perfectly completes the natural sweetness of the apples, creating a delicious, balanced blend of flavors.
- Nutmeg – I used a pinch of nutmeg to elevate the overall taste profile of this recipe, making each bite of apple crisp even more interesting.
- Old Fashioned Oats – Oats form the foundation of the crisp topping.
- Flour – When combined with the butter and other ingredients, all-purpose flour is used to bind everything together and create that crumbly texture of the topping.
- Butter – You’ll need cold butter cut into small pieces. As it is baked, the butter pieces melt, creating a buttery and crispy texture that adds richness to every bite. Replace with coconut oil for a vegan apple crisp.
- Salt – Just a pinch of salt enhances all the flavor in this delicious apple crisp recipe.
How To Make Easy Apple Crisp
Now that we know all the ingredients to create the best apple crisp recipe, let’s start cooking.
Watch this step-by-step video to see exactly how to make the best apple crisp!
Preheat the Oven
Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8×8 baking dish using non-stick cooking spray or softened butter. Set the dish aside.
Prepare The Apple Mixture
Add the peeled, cored, and chopped apples to the bottom of your prepared baking dish.
Add brown sugar, all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Stir well until all the apples are well coated.
Make The Apple Crisp Topping
For the topping, you’ll need another bowl. Combine old-fashioned oats, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cold unsalted butter (diced into small cubes), ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and a pinch of kosher salt.
Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend these ingredients until they form a crumbly texture. This topping will provide that wonderful contrast to the soft apple filling.
Assemble The Apple Crisp
Now, generously sprinkle the crumbly topping mixture over the apple filling. Use a silicone spatula or your fingers to make sure the topping covers the apples evenly, creating a beautifully textured layer.
Bake To Perfection
Place the baking dish into the preheated oven. Keep an eye on it; the apple crisp is ready when the top turns a gorgeous golden brown color and the filling bubbles.
Once done baked, take the aromatic apple crisp out of the oven. Allow it to cool slightly before serving.
It’s an absolute delight on its own, but you can serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra touch of indulgence or Greek yogurt for a delicious breakfast.
Essential Tips For Success
- Use your favorite apples: Feel free to experiment with different apple varieties to create unique flavor profiles. Sweeter apples like Honeycrisp or Fuji pair well with the spices and sweetness in the recipe, while tart apples like Granny Smith can add a contrasting tanginess.
- Allow to cool: The irresistible aroma of your apple crisp might tempt you to dig in right away, but it’s wise to exercise patience. Give the dish about 15 minutes to cool down after baking. This time allows the filling to set, making each spoonful a delightful experience.
- Don’t overcook: Keep an eye on the oven during baking to prevent the apples from overcooking and becoming too mushy. The apple crisp is ready when you can easily insert a fork into the apples without resistance.
- Avoid overly ripe apples: those very ripe or soft apples can turn mushy during baking, so make sure to choose firm apples that are just ripe for the best texture and flavor.
If you want to add your touch to this recipe, try playing with the toppings to add some variety to your apple crisp recipe. Here are some great ideas:
- Pecan: Add about 1/4 cup of chopped pecans to the crisp topping mixture for a crunchy texture.
- Gingerbread Flavor: Stir some ground ginger, cinnamon, and molasses into the topping mixture for a warm and cozy gingerbread flavor.
- Coconut: Add some shredded coconut and coconut flakes to give your apple crisp a tropical flavor.
Here are some great ideas for serving this dish to enhance your apple crisp experience:
- Ice Cream: What’s better than enjoying a generous serving of warn apple crisp with a scoop (or two) of your favorite vanilla ice cream?
- Whipped Cream: Top your apple crisp with a dollop of whipped cream. The light and airy texture of the cream completes perfectly with all the textures and flavors from this recipe.
- Caramel Sauce: Drizzle some homemade or store-bought caramel sauce over the apple crisp for an indulgent treat.
- Chopped Nuts: Sprinkle some of your favorite chopped nuts, such as toasted almonds, pecans, or walnuts, on top of your apple crisp for extra crunch and a nutty flavor.
- Dust Powdered Sugar: A light dusting of powdered sugar just before serving adds a touch of elegance and sweetness.
- Chocolate Chips: For a decadent twist, sprinkle some chocolate chips or shavings over the warm apple crisp. The combination of chocolate and apples is surprisingly delightful.
- Fridge: If you plan to enjoy this apple crisp within a few days, you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Freezing is a great choice if you want to store the leftovers for longer. Wrap the leftovers tightly with plastic wrap, place them in an airtight freezer-safe container, and freeze them for up to 2 months.
If the leftovers are frozen, remove them from the freezer and place them in the fridge overnight to thaw.
Once thawed, you can reheat them by using one of the following methods:
- Preheat the oven to around 350°F/ 175°C and reheat the apple crisp for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
- If you prefer a quicker option, you can microwave the apple crisp leftovers on high in short intervals, checking and stirring as needed.
Even if this apple crisp recipe is quite simple to make without needing any cooking skills, you may encounter a few common issues during the cooking process. So here are some troubleshooting tips to help you overcome them:
- Soggy Topping: If you end up with a soggy topping instead of a crisp one, it could be due to the excess moisture from the apples. To prevent this, you can pat dry the apples and spread a thin layer of bread crumbs or crushed cookies on the bottom of the baking dish before adding the apple mixture.
- Overcooked Apples: If your apples have become overly mushy during baking, you may have cooked them for too long. Keep a close eye on the baking time and check for doneness by inserting a fork into the apples. They should be tender but still hold their shape.
- Uneven Browning: Preheat your oven properly and bake the crisp on the center rack to ensure even browning.
- Runny Filling: If the apples release too much juice, the filling may turn runny. If you don’t want this to happen, add a thickening agent like cornstarch to the apple mixture before baking. For this recipe, 2 tsp of cornstarch will be enough.
- Lacking Flavor: Consider adjusting the spices or sweetness levels to suit your taste preferences.
Should I Peel The Apples?
The decision of whether to peel the apples for your apple crisp is entirely up to you! Opting to peel the apples delivers a smoother, softer texture to the filling, ideal for those who relish a uniform bite. On the flip side, keeping the skins intact adds a rustic allure, featuring a medley of colors and textures that can enchant both the eyes and taste buds.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
The Ultimate Apple Crisp Recipe
For the filling:
- 8 apples peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
For the topping:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter diced into small cubes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9×9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or softened butter. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped apples, brown sugar, 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 tsp of ground cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg. Toss the mixture until the apples are coated evenly with the sugar and spices. Then, transfer the apple mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, make the topping. Combine the old-fashioned oats, 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, cold diced butter, 1 tsp of ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg, and a pinch of kosher salt. Use a fork or a pastry cutter to mix the ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and the butter is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the apple filling in the baking dish, covering it completely. Use a silicone spatula or the back of a spoon to gently press down on the topping to even it out.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly around the edges.
- Once done, remove the apple crisp from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving. You can enjoy it on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Serve warm and enjoy your delicious homemade apple crisp!
The nutritional information provided on this website is intended to be a helpful reference and convenience for our users. It is offered as a courtesy and is based on data primarily sourced from the USDA Food Composition Database.
We kindly request that you do not take screenshots or copy/paste our recipes to social media or other websites. We would greatly appreciate it if you could instead share a link to our recipe along with a photo.